Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cooking: Paleo Posole

Posole is a traditional Mexican stew. Traditionally made with hominy, this "paleo" version uses winter squash instead. Recipe from The Paleo Diet Cookbook, a Christmas present from my sister this year (she sent it a little early, so I opened it!). :-)

I've started restocking my spices from the farmers' market,
that's why the cumin is in a jar instead of a plastic bottle.



Simmer pork roast, onion, garlic, oregano, red pepper, cumin, and some water for 1 hour.


Remove pork roast. Pour liquid into bowl. Add olive oil and acorn squash to the pot and cook for 5-10 minutes.


Return everything to the pot. Add a chopped jalapeno pepper. Simmer for 90 minutes.

For any World of Warcraft players out there,
my fiance said this looks like Un'Goro Crater.

Stir in a handful of fresh cilantro. Simmer until meat falls off the bone.  (I removed the roast and chopped up the meat.)


Overall review: A little on the bland side, needs more spices next time, either additional quantity or perhaps a few different spices added.




And as an added bonus, since I couldn't let those acorn squash seeds go to waste....


Toss with olive oil, sea salt, and chipotle powder, bake for 10 minutes at 400°. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment